Monday, August 24, 2009

Sabbath.

Today was the perfect Sabbath, and I am reminded that I am absolutely nothing without Christ. There is just so, so much that I cannot do and cannot manage, yet Jesus is able, and he is with me. Today I am humbled and reminded of how God is God, an explanation which words cannot contain.

Lately, I have felt that God is doing something in me which I don't particularly like, but as I am being created continually more into the creation He wants me to be, it is probably necessary. I always think I have given it all, but then God asks me for a little more, to let a little more of the things I hold on to die so that He can replace those voids with His desires and so that I can bear His fruits.

I read this prayer in a book by Mother Teresa, and it's by Francis of Assisi. It's kind of a scary desire to make this prayer my own, but if I am really a follower of Jesus, it has to be.


Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
when there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
Grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand,
to be loved as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying [to ourselves] that we are born to eternal life.

1 comment:

  1. This is a most excellent prayer.

    Easily prayed but are we ready for what might happen if we ever do pray it?

    ReplyDelete