Monday, June 06, 2011

In Light of the Cross, part II.

It's funny how God speaks through things you just wouldn't expect.

I re-read Teen Idol for probably the billionth time (yes, it's a book for teens!), and it's about this girl Jen who always smooths things over, but she changes to effect social change in the lives of people around her and everyone's like uhhhh, what are you doing???? You're supposed to be the nice one!!

And I realize that I'm exactly like Jen. Thinking back to the last post, I lie so much as to not stir ripples, to smooth things over. But as I know full well, this is not peace-making, but rather peace-keeping. I remember Pastor Dave giving a sermon about this, about how the two are not the same thing. We are called to speak the truth in love, rebuke one another, remind one another of truths in God, humble ourselves, serve others as Jesus did. Yikes!

But I guess we have to cross lines to effect change. We need to go out of our own comfort zones (and push the comfort zones of others)....

Wonder what that means for me right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment