Monday, July 20, 2009

Jesus's love is specific to each of us-- Luke 5

Goodness, I have so much to write but right now, I really only want to talk about what God has been teaching me in my devotional times. I've been reading through all of the gospels, one chapter a day, since the beginning of the summer, and today I'm on Luke 6. The Luke studies have been especially fruitful because I feel as if God has given me a different set of eyes with which to read. Anyway, I want to write about yesterday's study on Luke 5, which was extremely exciting to read through!

In Luke 5, Luke gives us three examples of how Jesus loves people specifically and how he knows exactly what their language is, and speaks it. For Simon Peter, it was through the miracle with the fish, through his occupation, and these are the terms he can understand. For the leper, it was a physical touch before the actual healing. I can imagine that in being a leper and having a skin disease that makes one "unclean," he would naturally crave physical touch and affection, but of course not be able to ask for it since he is shunned by society and set apart. For Levi, Jesus comes to his party and sits among the other tax collectors and "sinners," meeting him exactly where he is and joining his environment.

And then I think about how Jesus is still doing this today, loving us specifically and using our love languages to woo our hearts. Sometimes maybe we need to look a little harder to see just how he's doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment